Wednesday, June 20, 2012

10k Training

Happy Summer Solstice!

I have started to train for my first 10k! I have completed two official 5k runs. I completed the Lung Run in Halifax a few years ago. And this year I did the 5k in the Bluenose Marathon... but more on that later!


I decided to start training for a 10k to keep myself motivated and to challenge myself. I'm on week 2 of 8. Here is the schedule for this week:

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 3k
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - 4k
Friday - rest
Saturday - 6k
Sunday - 30 min walk

I will post the rest of the program soon. I wrote it down but left it in Halifax and I am home in Bathurst, New Brunswick for a few days.

I feel like this program is nice and slow and will allow me to not feel overwhelmed with building up distance too quickly. However, there are A LOT of rest days early on in the program. I am trying to supplement running with some strength training and walking.

Today [Wednesday] I plan on completing this circuit posted by Women's Health Magazine.

Yesterday I completed 3k. It was the most painful run I have ever done! Terrible shin splints. I don't think I did enough stretching following my big hike on Sunday. It was tough but I pushed through and got it done.


What are you training for?

No comments:

Post a Comment