Thursday, August 16, 2012

Another east coast runner! - The 16km Hurdle


 
 Hello everyone! I am Nikki, Jeannie's older sister, and a fellow east coast runner! I have been running on and off for a few years and have run a few 5ks, and around 5 10k races.

So I am training for a half marathon. I haven’t signed up yet, but I have told myself that I am going to run 21.1 km in October. I am following a training plan by Run Meter, an app for ipod. So far, the training has been going well... that is until I reached week 9.

Each Saturday is a long run day, followed by a day of walking. The Saturday in week 9 is a 16.5 km run. And I don’t know what it is, but I can’t. I just can’t. My husband, and running partner, has told me that I give up even before I leave the door. AND IT’S TRUE! And I am disappointed in myself for not just doing it but I am not there yet.

Physically, I am 99% sure I could do it. Mentally, I’m getting there (3 weeks behind schedule now) but am at about 85%. I haven’t had this kind of mental block in my running before. I think it comes when I map out a route and IT IS FAR. LIKE, REALLY FAR. And it’s been hot and humid. LIKE, REALLY HOT AND HUMID.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you find the motivation and convince yourself that it is possible?

Things that hold me back:
1.       Myself
2.       90% or higher humidity
3.       Temperatures at 25 celcius or higher

How I’m getting to 16 km:
1.       Reading motivational quotes on Pintrest (works!)
2.       Psyching myself up
3.       Repeating that I can do it!!! (sounds lame-o, I know but it’s helping)

I NEED to get ‘er done this week. Fingers crossed the temps stay low and the light stays longer (the sun now sets at 8:20.. first sign fall is on its way!). I’ll keep ya posted.

Forever trying to beat the heat and race the darkness, Nikki

** I JUST looked at week 10 and it’s 18 km!! WHY DID I DO THAT? Need to get 16 outta the way first.**

No comments:

Post a Comment