Wednesday, April 3, 2013

update: homemade granola bars

Last night I posted about homemade granola bars. And let me tell you, they are delicious.  A little TOO delicious. So today I decided to count the calories and grams of fat per bar. The recipe I made yielded 6 bars. Per bar:

calories: 357
fat: 17g
fiber: 5g

SO that explains why they are so delicious! phew. Homemade? yes. Healthy? yes. High calories? OOOh yeah.

I'm going to try to modify the recipe I used to lower the calories per bar. The recipe already suggests an apple sauce substitute. And I could lower the amount of almonds I used. Any other suggestions?

Here is the original recipe, from peanutbutterrunner:

Peanut Butter, Coconut and Fruit Granola Bars
Ingredients:
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used a mixture of golden raisins and dried cranberries)
2 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey)
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (or use all agave or honey)
1/4 cup peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons chia seeds or flax seeds
Directions: 
Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until mixture is well-combined. Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with wax paper or foil and firmly press oat mixture into the bottom of the pan. Freeze for at least 2 hours or until ready to cut. Cut into 6 bars and individually wrap and store in freezer.
Yield: 6 bars


Let me know if you have any suggestions!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment